Permanent residency pathway with age exemption for skilled work 457 and 482 visa holders
Under new legislation to commence on 1 July 2022, certain temporary skilled work visa holders may be eligible for permanent residency in Australia by applying for a subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa.
These include some ‘legacy’ skilled 457 Temporary Work (Skilled) visa holders, who are ineligible to meet the age requirement under the employer sponsored 186 visa in the Temporary Residence Transition stream (TRT stream).
Under this measure, an exemption from the age requirement for specified persons (referred to as ‘legacy 457 workers’) applies if the below requirements are met.
‘Legacy 457 worker’ means a person who, for an employer sponsored 186 visa application:
- held a subclass 457 visa on or after 18 April 2017; and
- was in Australia for at least 12 months between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021
This means that this cohort is not required to be less than 45 years old at time of application for an employer sponsored permanent residency 186 visa in the TRT stream.
3rd Australian skilled 482 Work Visa available for those accessing the new PR pathway
For everyone who has been closely following the permanent residency updates from Immigration over the past couple of weeks, well we have great news as Immigration is at it again with another positive legislative change as summarized below.
If the following applies to you:
- You are a skilled work 482 Visa holder who has changed employers AND
- You have insufficient time remaining on your visa to reach 3 years with your current employer AND
- You meet the residency requirement having been in Australia for at least 12 months between 01/02/20 – 14/12/21 on a 482 visa
You are now able to apply for a third skilled work 482 visa onshore in Australia.
This is excellent news as the above skilled work 482 visa holders will have a clear pathway to permanent residency under the legislative changes announced on 18/03/22.
Document preparation can potentially begin now for your 3rd 482 visa, call our office directly or email email@example.com