Student Visa Australia Key Success Factors

Student Visa Australia

All you need to know about 500 student visa Australia

Australia is home to internationally prestigious, research-led universities, many of which are ranked among the world’s best.

Australia’s cities are vibrant, busy, cosmopolitan places which offer residents and tourists alike huge amounts to see and do.

You could choose to study in glamorous Sydney, with its iconic landmarks of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Or perhaps you will prefer Melbourne, with its sophisticated, coffee-and-craft-beer, loving people and hidden laneway bars. Or vibrant, sunny Brisbane? The economic powerhouse that is Perth? The laid back gentility of Adelaide? The choice is all yours…

Anyone enrolling as an international student on a course lasting four months or more in Australia will need a student visa Australia.

VISA LOUNGE AUSTRALIA will guide you through the process for Student Visa Australia, and here’s an overview of important facts that you need to know.

Going to college or university is not just about studying. Where would you like to live for these formative years of your life?

Studying in a different country is a unique chance to experience a different culture and lifestyle.

As an international student you will have the freedom to live in Australia for the duration of your course; the time to immerse yourself in a different lifestyle and the chance to travel – all at the same time as getting a world-class, internationally recognised education.

Educational institutions in Australia offer a huge range of opportunities for students to maximise their time at university. You can take part in an academic exchange, and study at a partner university almost anywhere in the world for a term or a year. Or undertake an internship, join a voluntary project, get involved with student clubs and societies, or take part in a leadership programme.

Australian universities recommend that international students budget somewhere between A$22,000 and A$30,000 per year for living expenses. Some cities are more expensive to live in than others.

FAQ Student Visa Australia

When do courses start?

The academic year in Australia starts in February (not September). Semester 1 runs from February to June, semester 2 from July to November. Almost all courses can be started in the first semester; some can also be started in the second.

Can I get a part time job while I’m studying?

Yes. Provided you are studying a course that is at least one year long, you can work on a student visa. Working part time can be a big help with living costs, but those earnings are rarely enough to contribute to international tuition fees.

A student visa usually allows you to work up to 40 hours a fortnight during term, and full time in the holidays. The visa will be issued with ‘permission to work’, though you are not allowed to begin working until your course has started. Work that is a formal, registered part of your course is not included in the limit, but unpaid or voluntary work is included in the limit.

Temporary changes to this policy (due to COVID-related staff shortages across Australia) currently allow for students and their dependents to work full-time (rather than 40 hours per fortnight) and also allow students to work as soon as soon as they arrive in Australia, rather than once the course
commences. This is due to be reviewed in late 2022 and it is expected that the policy will revert to the original rules.

How much money do you need to live as a student in Australia?

There’s no simple answer to this question, as it depends on where you are and what you are studying as well as on your individual everyday needs and habits. What one person might consider an everyday necessity others think of as a once-a-term treat. Having said that, here we’ll try to give you a rough idea of what to expect. When preparing your budget, remember to factor in how long you intend to be in Australia each year.

The Australian academic year is typically 40 weeks long, and many of the online cost calculators and example budgets provided by Australian university websites work on the assumption that you will be there for just those 40 weeks. If you want to stay over the summer and work, or travel (both of which you are entitled to do on an Australian student visa) you will need to allow extra budget to cover this.

What type of visa do I need?

For all levels of study you will need to apply for a subclass 500 student visa.

When should I apply for student visa Australia?

You can only apply after you have received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your chosen university in Australia. To get a CoE, you must have received a
formal offer from the university, accepted it in full and paid a deposit toward your tuition fees.

Is there an age limit?

No, there’s no age limit on applying for a student visa Australia.

Can I still get a student visa if I’ve already had a working holiday visa for Australia?

Yes, your working holiday visa status has no impact on a student visa application, assuming that you didn’t break any immigration rules during your working holiday visa (such as working more than six months with one employer or not completing the correct specified work).

How much does it cost?

The student visa application fee is currently A$650, which needs to be paid when you submit your online application. If you have dependents joining you on your visa, such as your partner, there will be additional fees to pay.

If you are already in Australia on a different visa there may also be an additional fee to apply for your student visa.

The application fee is reviewed every year on July 1.

How long does the visa last?

Your student visa Australia will be issued for the length of your course (including holidays) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course.

How long does it take to get?

Visa processing times vary. Many are granted automatically within a few hours but you should allow at least four weeks if applying by yourself and up to eight weeks if applying with dependents.

We recommend applying for your visa as soon as you have your CoE but please don’t book any travel (unless the details can be easily amended) until you have been granted a visa.

When can I travel to Australia?

You can book your flights and travel to Australia as soon as your visa has been granted.

Can I apply for another visa when my course ends?

Under current Australian visa rules if you have completed a university bachelors, masters or research degree that was at least two years long you will be able to apply for a Post Study Work Visa.

Later on you may be eligible for a permanent visa through the skilled migration program or employer sponsored work visa program. 

Can I take my partner with me to Australia on my student visa?

Yes. In order to do this you will need to prove you have been in a genuine and exclusive relationship with them for at least 12 months.

This usually requires you to have been living together for at least 12 months and to be able to show proof of that using, for example, formal bills (such as council tax) issued in both your names, utility bills going to the same address, rent agreements in both names and so on.

Seek Professional Assistance to Lodge Your Student Visa Australia

Please contact VISA LOUNGE AUSTRALIA if you want to discuss the requirements for applying a student visa. 

Immigration rules change regularly; We offer an end-to-end management student visa service. 

There is a lot to think about when applying for a student visa and each case will be different.

You’ll be assessed on many factors including your age, previous education and formal qualifications, proficiency in English, genuine reasons to return to your home country. If at a later stage, you consider applying for another visa, whether temporary or permanent, you may also get extra points for studying a certain subject or studying in a certain area of Australia.

If you’d like to discuss your options to study in Australia, we’re here.

We are Australian OMARA Registered Migration Specialists with over 10 years of experience in all Australian visa categories including skilled visas, employer sponsored visas, partner and parent visas, graduate visas. 

Published by Maddie Phillips

Australian Immigration Law Specialist with over 12 years experience, I provide high touch immigration solutions for businesses and individuals, all aspects of Australian immigration law. OMARA Licenced, Member Migration Institute of Australia and Australian Human Resources Institute.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Add Comment *

Name *

Email *